Latest news from Big Barn and our producers.
It is so fantastic that bread making at home has become fashionable again. People are blogging about it, talking about it and getting out there and baking it!
What would the Earl of Sandwich have done without bread?
Did you know:
– Sandwiches account for 50% of bread consumption
– Bread remains one of the UK’s favourite foods, with nearly 12 million loaves sold per day.
– 44% of men eat bread twice a day compared with 25% of women.
– White bread accounts for 76% of the bread sold in the UK.
– Large bakeries, which produce wrapped and sliced bread, account for 80% of UK bread production.
In previous years bread consumption had dropped probably due to the modern Chorleywood method of making bread which many say is too fast and why many people have developed intolerance to gluten and bread.
This is typical of a profit focused food industry cutting cost by speeding up processes and using additives and cheap ingredients.Traditional bread makers use longer proving to allow the yeast to break down some of the carbohydrates in the flour, making the bread much more digestible. This is why, after eating a modern bread sandwich, many people feel very tired and some are diagnosed as gluten intolerant, when they may not be.
The great news is that bread is very easy, and cheap, to make and there are plenty of recipes or even videos to watch on how to bake bread. You can buy the most important ingredient, flour, in our MarketPlace or enrol on a bread making course.
You could even make a video yourself and add it to our KIS (keep it Simple) Cookery video section to be in a prize draw as well as possibly be discovered as the next famous chef!
Or to find the best bread or bakery visit www.bigbarn.co.uk and type in your post code.