Latest news from Big Barn and our producers.
Summer is really here at last and you know it’s summer when you find yourself gorging on delicious Strawberries. To buy and eat, pick your own, or, grow your own. Like nearly all fruit the freshest, ripest, strawberries are the best, and rarely found in the supermarket where shelf life is more important than taste.
Here are some fun facts about strawberries:
1.Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring
2.Most supermarket strawberries are the El Santa variety specially bred to be picked before ripe and last a long time on the shelf.
4.Wimbledon may have 64 player, seeds, in the competition, there are about 200 seeds on every strawberry?
5. A 100g serving of strawberries contains just 50 calories – 0g of fat!
6. Strawberries can help whiten your teeth? The acids in the fruit help to remove stains.
7. They are full of a special substance called ellagic acid which can help fight cancers.
8. Also full of flavonoids, which form part of the strawberry’s red colour. They are known to help reduce cholesterol from clogging up the heart’s arteries.
9. Eight strawberries have more vitamin C than an orange, 140% of our daily recommended amount.
10. Strawberries can also be white or yellow and some can even taste like pineapples.
11. The strawberry and raspberry plants, are members of the rose family.
12. Eating strawberries, which are rich in nitrate, can increase the flow of blood & oxygen to the muscles by 7%. This prevents muscle fatigue, making exercise easier.
13. Over 53 percent of seven to nine-year-olds picked strawberries as their favourite fruit.
14. Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside
Some fantastic reasons to enjoy strawberries this summer. Find your local producers and Pick Your Owns using our local food map, or some plants to grow and produce fruit every year.
If you have a favourite fruit recipe that you’d like to share, or any other recipe, and would like the chance to win a prize, please video your recipe and add it to KIS (Keep it Simple) Cookery. Please have a look at existing videos here and try and keep your video less than 2 minutes long.