Latest news from Big Barn and our producers.
Now that summer is in full flow there’s a bounty out in the countryside which you might not expect – now is the perfect time to enjoy one of Britain’s best natural treats – berries! They are brilliant – they’re fun and super healthy for you too! Now is the sort of time when we think of the indulgent summer desserts; Gooseberry fool, Blueberry pie, homemade raspberry ice-cream, blackberry crumble or just simple berries with cream or yogurt. We all know that the these delights are absolutely fine as long as they’re in moderation. The best thing is that all these foods are delicious and can be made with local British products.
If you’re looking for some inspiration and something to do with the little ones this weekend, don’t pass up the chance to head out for an easy forage and to track down local blackberries or grow some in your own backyard!
We know you’ve been wondering precisely why berries are amazing so here are our 11 berry related facts:
1. Strawberries and honey can reduce pain and inflammation from sunburn.
2. Red raspberries have been growing throughout Europe for centuries. It is believed that they originated in Turkey and spread throughout Mediterranean Europe. The Romans took raspberries throughout their empire – including to Britain.
3. Raspberries are a member of the rose family.
4. The dark blue purple colour of Blackberries ensures they have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits. Antioxidants, well-known for lowering the risk of a number of cancers, are a huge bonus, but be aware the berries are best consumed in their natural state to get the full benefits.
5. Gooseberries contain moderate levels of minerals such as copper, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, and potassium.
6. Blueberries won’t ripen once they are picked and are a high source of vitamin C, which has helped Saami people of the Arctic live in cold climates.
7. Strawberries for headaches??? They contain natural salicylates, an ingredient that’s found in aspirin! In Roman times, the strawberry was valued for its therapeutic properties.
8. Blackberries are effective in the treatment of stomach problems, such as nausea.
9. Cranberries and blueberries are both in the Vaccinium family
10. A tomato is a berry.
11. Aronia Berries have 4 times more antioxidants than Blueberries
If you want some ideas for cooking your berries then The Seasonal Berries website is the place to go to work up an appetite and find some additional inspiration. Delicious recipes and mouthwatering ideas will have you racing to your nearest farm shop for a punnet of Britain’s finest.
Or, if you have a favourite berry recipe, why not share it with us? Please video your recipe and add it to KIS (Keep it Simple) Cookery. Please have a look at existing videos here and try and keep your video less than 2 minutes long.