Latest news from Big Barn and our producers.
Did you know that CBD oil, and products, are good for us, our soil, and our planet. It grows really well in the UK and could provide a lifeline for many farmers.
Unfortunately in the UK all CBD oil has to be imported and a licence must be obtained to even grow hemp. The flowers and leaves that produce CBD have to be destroyed making the crop almost unviable.
This is another example of government stupidity. Just like allowing food that is illegal to produce in this country to be imported and undercut British farmers. (Chlorinated chicken, low welfare pork, etc)
Here are some Hemp facts
1. During Henry VIII’s rule hemp was so important for the British Navy that it was illegal for land owners NOT to grow it.
2. Today, the UK still classifies industrial hemp as a ‘controlled drug’, and farmers wishing to grow the plant must apply to the Home Office for a license. Consequently, there are very few UK growers and businesses adding value or using the crop.
3. Many US states have legalised marijuana & THC arguing that it is less damaging than alcohol
4. There are hundreds of varieties of hemp each producing different amounts of drug THC and CBD
5. 1 acre of hemp will produce as much fibre as 2 to 3 acres of cotton. Hemp fibre is stronger and softer than cotton, lasts twice as long as cotton, and will not mildew.
6. Hemp requires no pesticides, no herbicides, and only moderate amounts of fertiliser.
7. 1 acre of hemp will produce as much paper as 2 to 4 acres of trees. All types of paper products can be produced from hemp and the quality is superior
8. Hemp can be used to produce fibreboard that is stronger and lighter than wood. Substituting hemp fibreboard for timber would further reduce the need to cut down our forests.
9. Hemp can be used to produce strong, durable and environmentally-friendly plastic substitutes. Thousands of products made from petroleum-based plastics can be produced from hemp-based composites.
10. Hemp is ready for harvesting only 120 days after it is planted. Hemp can grow on most land suitable for farming, while forests and tree farms require large tracts of land available in few locations. Harvesting hemp rather than trees would also eliminate erosion due to logging, thereby reducing topsoil loss and water pollution caused by soil runoff.
11. Hemp seeds contain a protein that is more nutritious and more economical to produce than soybean protein.It can used to produce: tofu, veggie burgers, butter, cheese, salad oils, ice cream, milk, or ground into a nutritious flour for baked goods such as pasta, cookies, and breads.
12. Hemp seed oil can be used to produce non-toxic diesel fuel, paint, varnish, detergent, ink and lubricating oil. Because hemp seeds account for up to half the weight of a mature hemp plant, hemp seed is a viable source for these products.
13. Just as corn can be converted into clean-burning ethanol fuel, so can hemp. Because hemp produces more biomass than any plant species (including corn) that can be grown in a wide range of climates and locations, hemp has great potential to become a major source of ethanol fuel.
14. CBD oil and THC can be used medicinally as well as a pain killer and if produced and supplied to the NHS save UK tax payers £millions on existing chemical drugs from foreign big businesses
15. The EU law allowance of THC in a hemp plant is 0.2% THC. However, in Australia, Ecuador, Uruguay and Switzerland, the plant can contain up to 1% THC. A healthy dose of THC means a healthier plant. 1% THC has no psychoactive effect at this dose; however, the plant is healthier and can produce better crops and flowers.
Ahaah! That’s why we left the EU!
So that we could change the law, grow 1% THC hemp and allow local farmers to extract the CBD oil, and many other products, to supply local people, businesses, and even the NHS?
Please ask your local MP why they are taking so long to change this law and give the UK and UK farmers a competitive advantage.
If you would like more information on hemp try the British Hemp Alliance or to buy hemp products in our MarketPlace click here. Or if you are in pain or have trouble sleeping try CBD drink Goodrays here
If you have and opinion please add it below.