You can use the recipe search box below to find some tasty new recipes.
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170C, 325F.
2. Prepare the saffron; in a small bowl pour the warm water onto the saffron strands and leave to infuse for 5-10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the lamb into a large bowl and season well with the salt and pepper and spice ingredients.
4. Heat the half the oil in a large pan and brown the lamb cubes in batches then transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and cook the onions for 3-4 minutes until soft and add to the large 1.7/3pt casserole dish with the remaining ingredients and the saffron liquid. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook in a preheated oven for 1 1/2-2 hours.
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1/2-2 hours
Ingredients:675g/1 1/2lb Quality Standard lean boneless lamb or mutton leg or shoulder, cut into 5cm/2inch cubes
Pinch saffron threads
120ml/8tbsp warm water
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
15ml/1tbsp garlic salt
30ml/3tbsp ground ginger
2.5ml/ 1/2tsp cayenne pepper
30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
2 onions, peeled and sliced
1 large lemon, cut into 8 small wedges and deseeded
1 x 227g can chopped tomatoes
75g/3oz ready to eat figs, cut in half
600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stockPolenta and Thyme Dumplings:
175g/6oz fine polenta or cornmeal
175g/6oz self-raising flour
2.5ml/ 1/2tsp salt
100g/4oz butter, cubed
60ml/4tbsp fresh thyme leaves
45-60ml/3-4tbsp cold water