KIS stands for Keep It Simple and is a BigBarn initiative to help more people enjoy great food and save money.
You can browse the videos to find recipes using cheaper, seasonal ingredients, or upload your own videos and become the next famous TV chef!
Fantastic hearty meal that all the family will enjoy!
1 kg Oxtail
500ml red wine
2 lt beef stock
chopped onion, celery, carrot, mushroom
rosemary, bay leaves, flour
This is a magnificent, luxury version of everyone's favourite fish pie, satisfyingly rich and delicious. Perfect for a special family occasion or treating friends!
1. Prepare your sweet potatoes. Wash well and pat dry, then prick each 3-4 times with a fork.Cook them either in the microwave or the oven (clearly the microwave is fastest!) Microwave - put potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 5 minutes, then test with a fork. If not tender, cook for a further 30 seconds at a time until nicely soft. Oven - put potatoes on a foil lined baking tray and roast in a preheated oven (220°C/200°C fan/gas 7) for 40-50 minutes until tender.
2. As you reach the end of the sweet potato cooking time, start the sauce. Put the milk in a saucepan, adding the onion and the bay leaf. Bring to a gentle simmer. While the milk is heating, melt the butter in another saucepan. When melted, add the flour and stir in, mixing well to cook the flour gently in the butter.
3. Now strain the seasoned milk into the flour and butter mixture a bit at a time, stirring or whisking well on a gentle heat to combine. When the milk, butter and flour are mixed and the sauce has started to thicken, add the cheese and stir to melt into the sauce. Season with black pepper.
4. Remove the BigFish™ frozen salmon fillets from the outer packaging. Pierce the inner sleeves and microwave as per the pack instructions but reducing the time slightly to keep the fish moist. Don’t worry if it appears slightly under-cooked - it will finish cooking in the oven
5. Preheat the oven (180°C/160°C fan/gas 4). Now peel the skin off the roasted sweet potatoes and mash well with butter and seasoning.
6. Microwave spinach for a couple of minutes in a covered bowl with a teaspoon of water. Drain to remove excess water.
7. Take the cooked fillets from the microwave and remove from the cooking pouches.Lightly butter or oil your pie dish and flake the salmon into it, removing the skin.
8. Now build your pie.Open the packet of BigFish™ Smoked Salmon or Smoked Trout and add around 100g in pieces to the cooked salmon in your dish, followed by the spinach. Now pour over the sauce, ensuring everything is covered. Finally, spoon the mashed sweet potato over the pie to cover. Add a little extra grated cheese on the top
9. Cook your pie in the hot oven for about 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely crisp and the sauce bubbling.Chop a little parsley over the top to garnish before serving… and enjoy!
x4 BigFish Atlantic Salmon Fillets
100g BigFish™ Traditional Smoked Salmon or Sea Trout
800g sweet potatoes washed
150g fresh spinach leaves
1 onion roughly chopped
How to make the Barn Farm Drinks 'Strawberry Fair' Cocktail - Using Strawberry & Apple Barn Farm Juice, Barn Farm Fresh Strawberries and Suffolk Distillery Strawberry & Rhubarb Gin.
Barn Farm Drinks Strawberry & Apple Juice
Suffolk Distillery Strawberry & Rhubarb Gin
Delicious sugar fee muffins from Tina the Nutrition Guru
200g Spelt flour
150ml rapeseed oil
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda